Twe External Reviewers vacancies: The Open University
Advert for external members of the Periodic Quality Review panel – Education, Childhood, Youth and Sport Periodic Quality Review (PQR)
The Open University are seeking to appoint two external reviewers to sit on the panel of our PQR for the School of Education, Childhood, Youth and Sport in the Faculty of Wellbeing, Education and Language Studies
PQR is one of the processes which forms the basis of the Open University’s monitoring and review activity for all programmes of study. The panel will include an OU academic as Chair, an OU academic as an internal reviewer, two external reviewers and a student reviewer.
The panel will be expected to provide a critical commentary to the University on the way quality and standards are managed and students served. The focus of the review will be the Self-Evaluation Document (SED) prepared by the School of Education, Childhood, Youth and Sport, supporting documentary evidence and triangulating findings during meetings with students and colleagues from across the University, Faculty and curriculum area. As the subject expert, the primary role of the external reviewer is to consider the School’s self-evaluation in the context of current pedagogical thinking in the subject area as well as the higher education sector in general. At the end of the review, the panel will make recommendations to enhance the quality of student learning experience.
The key responsibilities of the External Reviewer are set out below:
- to attend a 1-hour briefing, provisionally scheduled for the week commencing 15th March 2021, although this will be arranged at a time and date suitable for the panel;
- to remotely begin work shortly after the briefing by scrutinising the SED and supporting documentary evidence;
- to attend a 1.5-2-hour meeting with the rest of the panel to discuss initial findings 2-3 weeks after the briefing at a time and date suitable for the panel;
- to attend a 2.5-day review event on 11-13th May 2021 (this will take place face-to-face at the campus in Milton Keynes although subject to government guidance surrounding Covid-19);
- to contribute to the writing of the panel report after the review event.
The External Reviewer should meet the following criteria:
- The External Reviewers will have both relevant subject expertise (Sport and Fitness, and Education, Childhood and Youth) and direct experience of review of academic quality;
- The External Reviewer will be a senior member of academic staff external to the Open University and not, either currently or for the past six years, been an external examiner, assessor or adviser, Associate Lecturer or student, or otherwise have a conflict of interest, with the OU. Examples of a conflict of interest include having been a visiting professor at the OU, being a personal friend of senior programme or faculty staff, or significant professional involvement with the faculty;
- The successful candidate must be eligible to work in the UK.
External reviewers are paid £900, subject to national insurance and tax deductions, and all travel, accommodation and subsistence expenses are paid for by the University.
We promote diversity in employment and recruitment to all roles and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
For more information regarding the role please email firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance.
To apply please write no more than 500 words outlining your experience and suitability and attach a current CV. Please submit your application to email@example.com
The closing date for applications is Friday October 16, 2020.
This content is restricted to site members. If you are an existing user, please log in. New users may register below.