- To continue to campaign for a high status early childhood graduate profession.
- To provide a critical perspective on and a forum for the advancement of appropriate early years policies, initiatives and legislation.
- To develop graduate and postgraduate level education, training and research in the field of Early Childhood Studies.
- To favour equalities and oppose discrimination.
In so doing the ECSDN will seek
- To promote academic and professional developments in Early Childhood and Early Childhood Provision.
- To promote the continuing development of Early Childhood Studies as an academic and professional discipline in higher education.
- To promote, encourage, support and disseminate undergraduate, postgraduate and professional research in the field of Early Childhood Studies.
- To work towards the integration of Early Childhood Studies within other early childhood academic and professional initiatives, both nationally and internationally.
- To promote pay recognition and acceptance by employers of early childhood academic and professional qualifications.
For this purpose it will work to:
- Facilitate communication and co-operation between member institutions.
- Provide a forum for sharing information across the UK and internationally.
- Enhance quality and impact through the application and championing of research.
- Influence the development and implementation of policy by working in partnership with other agencies and by undertaking communications and dissemination activities.
- Promote the value of an early childhood graduate profession throughout the UK.
- Articulate the role of Early Childhood Studies (ECS) as an interdisciplinary field of study that adds value to the creation and communication of knowledge within the higher education community.